Saturday, August 02, 2008

Conversations with Sri Ramakrishna - Knowing God

Can anyone ever know God?"

Sri Ramakrishna: "Who can ever know God? I don't even try. I only call on Him as Mother. Let Mother do whatever She likes. I shall know Her if it is Her will; but I shall be happy to remain ignorant if She wills otherwise. My nature is that of a kitten. It only cries, 'Mew, mew!' The rest it leaves to its mother. The mother cat puts the kitten sometimes in the kitchen and sometimes on the Master's bed. The young child wants only his mother. He doesn't know how wealthy his mother is, and he doesn't even want to know. He knows only, 'I have a mother; why should I worry?' Even the child of the maidservant knows that he has a mother. If he quarrels with the son of the Master, he says: 'I shall tell my mother. I have a mother.' My attitude, too, is that of a child." P. 299 The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

No comments: