Monday, December 03, 2007

The Gospel of Strength - Swami Vivekananda

First of all, our young men must be strong. Religion will come
afterwards. Be strong, my young friends; that is my advice to you. You
will be nearer to heaven through football than through the study of
Gita. These are bold worlds; but I have to say them, for I love you. I
know where the shoe pinches. I have gained a little experience. You
will understand the Gita better with your biceps, your muscles, a
little stronger. You will understand the mighty genius and the mighty
strength of Krishna better with a little of strong blood in you. You
will understand the Upanishads better and the glory of the Atman when
your body stands firm upon feet, and you feel yourselves as men.

That is all I have to say to the world. Be strong!... The sign of
life is strength and growth. The sign of death is weakness. Whatever
is weak, avoid! It is death! If it is strength, go down into hell and
get hold of it!

Be strong. Be manly. I have respect even for a wicked person so long
as he is manly and strong, for his strength will someday make him give
up his wickedness, and even renounce all work for selfish ends. It
will thus eventually bring him to the Truth.

No comments: